The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (CDBS) provides funds towards your child’s dental needs. The scheme was introduced by the Department of Human Services and provides up to $1000 worth of dental treatment for eligible children between the ages of 2-17. At Beachside Complete Dental Care, we bulk bill all treatment that is eligible under the CDBS – this means that there is NO cost to you.
There are a few ways to find our if your child is eligibility:
- Call Medicare directly on 13 20 11
- Visit their website https://my.gov.au/LoginServices/main/login?execution=e1s1
- Call our team on 03 97813633 and we can check it for you. Please have your Medicare card ready
Your child’s eligibility for the CDBS is assessed and determined by the Department of Human Services. A child is eligible if they:
- Are eligible for Medicare
- Aged between 2-17 years at any point in the calendar year
- Receive an eligible payment at least once during that calendar year, such as Family Tax Benefit Part A, Parenting payment or Double Orphan Pension payments at any point in the calendar year
Once a child has been assessed as eligible, they are eligible for that entire calendar year – even if they are turning two that year, or turn 18, or stop receiving the relevant Government payment.
Treatment that is covered by CDBS
This scheme includes the following treatment:
- Dental examinations
- Scale and cleans
- Fissure sealing
- Root canal treatment
There are some restrictions for basic dental services. Please check with us if there are any item or time restrictions before starting treatment.
How it works
The CDBS amount available to eligible patients is capped at $1000 per eligible patient over two consecutive calendar years. Payments will only need to be personally met if any services are not covered or if the available benefit cap has been exhausted.
Any balance remaining at the end of the two-year period cannot be used to fund services that are provided outside of that period. A new benefit can will become available only if the relevant two-year period has elapsed and the child is eligible in a following year. A patient’s benefit can only be used for eligible services provided to that patient only – family members cannot share their entitlements.
Once your child’s eligibility has been confirmed at Beachside Dental there are some steps that we will take to ensure the entire process goes smoothly:
- Your child’s available balance will be determined prior to the appointment
- A treatment plan including the total value of the treatment will be proposed to you
- In most cases, we find that the total value of treatment will fall within your child’s available balance
- If the total value exceeds your child’s available balance, we will obtain your consent before proceeding with any treatment as there will be out-of-pocket expenses
- We BULK BILL the treatment. Anything exceeding the available balance may incur an extra fee. Again, you will be informed of any extra costs before treatment proceeds
When it comes to the dental health of your child, don’t leave it to chance. Get in contact today with the best child’s dentist in Frankston, and find out how Beachside Complete Dental Care can help you!